NMD Building Control Privacy Notice
Your rights, your information and how we use it
NMD Building Control is committed to protecting your personal information.
Who we are
NMD Building Control is a partnership between North Devon and Mid Devon District Councils for the purpose of providing the Building Control Service.
How to contact us
FAO Data Protection Officer NMD Building Control
Woodlands Enterprise Centre
Pathfields Business Park
Tel: 01271 234974
Information we collect and use
Information about you that we collect and use includes:
- Information about who you are e.g. your name, date and contact details
- Information connected to your product or service with us e.g. your bank or credit card details
- Information about your contact with us e.g. meetings, phone calls, emails / letters
- Information classified as ‘sensitive’ personal information e.g. relating to your health in relation to fee exemption due to disability.
- Information you may provide us about other people e.g. information relating to complaints regarding unauthorised work or dangerous structures
Where we collect your information
We may collect your personal information directly from you, from a variety of sources, including:
- Application forms for our services including on-line forms
- Phone conversations with us
- Emails or letters you send to us
- Information provided in face to face meetings
- Our online services such as social media and mobile device applications
Use of IP addresses
IP addresses are only collected for the purposes of system administration and to audit the use of our site. We do not link IP addresses to anything personally identifiable, which means that while your user session will be logged, you will remain anonymous to us.
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site.
When someone visits www.nmdbuildingcontrol.co.uk we may collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site.
We collect this information in a way which does not identify anyone. We do not make any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting. We will not associate any data gathered from this site with any personally identifying information from any source.
Our website is managed by Mid Devon District Council.
What we collect and use your information for
This information is collected for the following purposes.
- Administration of applications for building regulation approval.
- Enforcement of contraventions of the Building Regulations.
- Exercising of powers under the Building Act 1984 in relation to Demolitions and Dangerous Structures.
Who we may share your information with
We may share your information with third parties for the as outlined below.
- Other agencies where statutory consultations and notifications are required including The Fire Authority, Highway Authority, South West Water and utility companies.
- Other Local Authority Departments and agencies where there is a legal requirement to do so including the Police and for support services such as financial and legal services.
- Other Local Authorities where LABC partnership applications are received.
- Neighbouring land owners/occupiers where demolition work is taking place or where they are impacted by dangerous structures.
- Third party contractors where consultants are used to assess design compliance and where works in default are required
- Software suppliers where information is submitted via third party on-line portal sites
- Other bodies responsible for auditing of the service to ensure legal and quality system compliance.
How we protect your information
Our staff are trained regularly on principles of data protection.
The building control database used to administer our operations along with our mobile working systems and all ICT systems are accredited to Public Service Network standards and staff access to systems are restricted to relevant and adequate levels.
Information held on paper is stored securely with restricted access.
Sensitive information on paper is securely destroyed.
How long we keep your information
Information will be kept in accordance with our document retention policy.
- Building Regulation information is retained for 15 years from the date of completion in accordance with the Building Control Performance Standards.
- Dangerous structure cases will be retained for 7 years from the date of resolution.
- Enforcement files are retained for 7 years from the date of resolution.
- Records of complaints and customer feedback are retained for 5 years.
How to make a complaint